christmas is just ten [update. now SIX] days away. can you believe it? we are in the christmas spirit full force over here. there’s hallmark movies playing on the tv, christmas records playing throughout the house, and a christmasy craft to be made every day. there’s also lots of hot cocoa, naturally.
this year we vowed to follow [read tried] the minimalistic guide to gifting. i am sure you know the one: something they need, something they want, something to read, and something to wear. after actually researching a few different versions of this gift guide, we also decided to include something to do. i like ththe idea of gifting the, something they will always remember and can look back on and appreciate the time we spent, together. so far, i would say we haven’t stemmed too far off that list. surprising, i know. but with this lift, comes careful concentration+planning, and lets be real, toys [they are little only once, ya know]. i have done my best to find toys that will last a lifetime, that have meaning, and that are easily put, beautiful. not the toys that are played with for two seconds and tossed away. this has given us all the more reason to decide to do a minimalistic christmas this year.
so, i have pulled together a few of my favorite brands and toy shops to give you a list of great holiday toys for the little toddlers in your life.
- cuddle+kind dolls: you know just exactly how big of a fan we are of our cuddle and kind doll, maximus, especially if you read here. finley carries him everywhere he goes and max never leaves his side when he sleeps. at cuddle+kind, every doll is handcrafted with natural, high quality cotton by women artisans in peru, providing them with a sustainable, fair trade income. and for every doll purchased, cuddle+kind will donate ten meals to a child in need. so not only are you getting a beautiful doll for a loved one, but you are helping make a difference.
- little sapling toys: last year for christmas, we gifted finley these personalized name blocks, and have been big fans of this brand ever since. each toy is handcrafted from sustainably harvested wood and is finished with beeswax and organic jojoba oil, making them safe for your little one’s mouth. the toys themselves are simple, beautiful, and made to last. and the best part, they plant a tree for every toy sold! this year, we got this fun lacing toy for hayden.
- the storybook: you might remember when i talked about joining the storybox here, but the boys loved getting their package so much, that i thought this was perfect for the gift “to read”, as each box comes with one board book [for finley] and one picture book [for hayden].
- merci milo shop: i just recently came across this shop, but goodness am i happy i did so. merci milo is a toy shop, that focuses on showcasing unique and beautifully handcrafted toys from local artisans, traditional toy makers, creative mamas, and global brands. if you ask me, it’s like santa’s workshop, something for every little one on your list. we’ve had our eye on this unique robot monkey, made from wood and rope, for quite some time, and i know the boys will just love him.
- wooden story: another wooden toy shop, does that surprise you? this one is located in the mountains in Peru, and they too focus on all natural toys that have been inspired by nature. my favorite part, their packaging [which is beautiful by the way] is not made to be thrown away. the canvas bags and boxes are designed to be reused or recycled. we really love this natural pyramid and this rainbow stacking toy [toys not shown].
and lucky for you, we have all come together to create a happy surprise for one little tot this christmas. to learn more, head on over to my instagram account.